Thursday, September 18, 2008

new path




"Making a decision was only the beginning of things. When someone makes a decision, he is really diving into a strong current that will carry him to places he had never dreamed of when he first made the decision." Author Paulo Coelho - The Alchemist


I look back at 10-years full-time at the Star-Telegram in amazement! I have been very lucky, not many people can say that they have had their dream job for that long. I consider it an honor to have honed my skills with the best in the business. You guys are amazing.

"It's the possibility of having a dream come true that makes life interesting." Author Paulo Coelho - The Alchemist

I have been fortunate enough to have traveled around the world countless times; I have had the chance to document some of the most historical events of my generation; I have seen my friends killed in combat; and I have met the most amazing people every step of the way. I have no regrets.

"There is one great truth on this planet: whoever you are, or whatever it is that you do, when you really want something, it's because that desire originated in the soul of the universe. It's your mission on earth." Author Paulo Coelho - The Alchemist

It has been a fun ride, but the time was right for me to look in a different direction. I am still putting together my road map for the future, but I will still be around and I will still be chasing the news.

If you have never read The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho, find a copy.

www.tompenningtonphoto.com

Cheers,

tp

4 comments:

Etrnty86 said...

Thank you for deciding to share your work/thoughts. You are such an amazing photographer. I look forward to upcoming posts.

Jodie Sanders said...

Thanks for your thoughts and the book suggestion. Please continue to share your insights and photographs as you travel your new path.
Jodie

Jeff said...

Tom, I believe it was 11 years ago that we shot football in the rain in a small town in the Catskills, and learned from some masters...you're carrying that legacy forward...you're about to shoot better than you ever have and become a captain of your own ship...its a great path and you'll do just fine. and the alchemist is a great book for putting you in the right frame of mind. i have a friend in austin, bob schneider, that i visit from time to time...i look you up when i down there and we'll listen to some music and ruminate about the next decade.
jeff swensen

Paige said...

I couldn't be more proud of you Tom. Love that you are blogging and will stay tuned for the new story.